MGC News has posted a Youtube video of the Spring 2007 update for XBOX 360, apparently taken off of Gamespot (which has since pulled the video from their site)
The update, scheduled for release on May 7, will apparently add the following features:
- Add up to 600 Windows Live Messenger contacts to your Friends List.
- Text chat with up to 6 Live Messenger contacts at once during games or movies.
- The Marketplace will be getting its own Dashboard Blade.
- The Marketplace will be skinned independently of the Dashboard, for special events.
- The Marketplace will be getting a new, easier-to-navigate remake.
- Achievement Pop-ups will now display how many points and which Achievement you have gained.
- Low-power downloading (fans off) and auto-off after finishing queued downloads.
- View partially downloaded video files.
So the Marketplace will be receiving some much needed improvements (now they there are so many demos available, it’s hard to sort through them all, so hopefully that will be made easier). Both the PS3 and XBOX 360 are adding more reasons for us to use a keyboard with our consoles, but it’s just so clunky. The smallest keyboard that is decently usable is the DiNovo, and it is still a pain to use in the living room. The Phantom Lapboard was supposed to come out last month – and it would have been perfect timing, but appropriately I guess, it is nowhere to be seen.
It is nice to see that they have turned off the fan for downloading (and presumably they will also be off while navigating the Dashboard) which makes the system a little more tolerable noise-wise. It’s also a good thing the 360 will turn itself off after downloading, because even at idle, it draws almost 160W – just about as much as the PS3 while it is Folding.