Cue crickets chirping…
Many were hoping that the 2.0 firmware would introduce some highly anticipated features to the Playstation 3 – in-game XMB access would be nice, for one. Also, we are still waiting on that Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 update that is rumored to be coming.
However, it seems that the only reason Sony called this “two point oh” is because they simply ran out of numbers in the 1.9 range. While some of the new features are nifty, those expecting drastic changes will feel disappointed.
- Remote Start – The PS3 can now be turned on and off via a partnered PSP over the internet. This way, you can keep all your PSP videos and music on the PS3, and access them from anywhere.
- RSS Ticker – In the top right you will find a miniscule RSS feed ticker. Currently, you can only subscribe to Sony feeds, but it is expected that you’ll be able to sign up to any feed in the next firmware.
- Theme support – go beyond simple wallpaper support with full themes. One alternative theme is included with the firmware, and there are three (rather ugly) ones available on the Playstation Store.
- XMB color control – Tired of having a nasty brown background for an entire month? You are now free to change it to whatever you like.
- DualShock 3 support – When the DualShock 3 controllers arrive in spring of 2008 (that’s right), your PS3 will be fully prepared.
- Other crap – The Playstation Store icon has moved, Canon printers are now supported, music playlist support is added, and you can now sort music by year (w00t).
The waiting game continues…