Hey check out this Intel graphics card:
Okay, so it’s technically not a graphics card, in that there is no graphics output, and obviously no drivers. But this MIC (many-integrated-core) development card dubbed Knight’s Ferry has roots that trace back to the Larrabee project. As the name MIC suggests, Intel has developed 22nm dies with many cores. Just how many, they haven’t said specifically, but it will be “over 50”. Slap a bunch of those on a “graphics card that doesn’t do graphics” like this, and you have yourself a lot of computing power in a small package. And unlike other ‘graphics’ cards, this one is based on x86 instructions – just like a normal CPU. That means normal applications will easily be able to run on them.
What this means for users like us, we can only imagine. We are only just starting to see the use of the computing power of graphics cards beyond gaming and rendering. It may be that in a few years, we’ll be buying Intel or AMD “non graphics graphics cards” to augment our PC’s power once the CPU has reached its limits… Or maybe they’ll sit on the CPU package itself, much like how the L2 cache used to be external, but eventually found its way onto the CPU package (and after that, the memory controller, then the GPU). You can read more about this subject over at The Register.
And now, today’s batch of hardware reviews!
- Mushkin Enhanced Joule 700 Watt Power Supply @ TweakTown
- Fractal Design Core 3000 chassis @ Hexus.net
- RAIDON GT5630-SB3 USB 3.0 4 Bay Desktop Data Backup Storage @ Real World Labs
- NZXT H2 Silent Classic Mid-Tower PC Chassis @ DragonSteelMods
- CiragoTV Platinum CMC3200 Network Multimedia Center@ Legit Reviews
- Intel P67 Motherboard Round-up: Asus, Fatal1ty, GB, MSI @ HotHardware.com
- PowerColor HD 6850 SCS3 1 GB @ techPowerUp
- FSP Group Aurum Gold 500 Power Supply @ OCIA.net
- Thecus N2200XXX NAS @ DragonSteelMods
- Palit GeForce GT 520 1GB @ OCAU
- RaidSonic Icy Box IB-NAS6220 HDD Network Mediaserver @ Real World Labs
- GIGABYTE X58A-OC (Intel X58 Express) Motherboard @ TweakTown
- Fractal Design Core 3000 chassis @ Guru3D
- NZXT Phantom Case @ Ninjalane
- Sapphire Radeon HD 6750 1GB Video Card @ ThinkComputers
- Be Quiet! Straight Power E8 400 W @ techPowerUp
- OCZ Vertex 3 240GB Max IOPS Edition SSD @ Legit Reviews