Everyone knows already – PC games are all free, right? Just hit up your favourite torrent or usenet site, and download away. But what if you want to download games for free, and do it legally?
Luckily, UK based online game store Gamersgate has a solution for you. On September 1, they will be launching an ad-based service that lets you download and play games for free, while keeping a clear moral conscious (if that was ever a concern – it seems to me that it isn’t for most).
There’s no word on what the selection will be like, but according to Tech Report, there will be around 200 at launch. There are also no details on what the ads will be like, but we know that they will launch before you download and before you play, not during the game. So they shouldn’t be very intrusive at all!
We’ve seen MANY ad-based free services come and go over the years, and this one isn’t going to be cheap to run. So it will be interesting to see if they are able to stay in business this way. Let’s wish them luck! You can sign up for the beta over on this page, and follow them on Twitter here.
Now let’s see what kind of hardware reviews came out today.
- iXBT have updated their i3DSpeed chart for May 2011, which is a collection of benchmarks for nearly 30 different video cards.
- TweakTown reviews another tower CPU cooler, the AURAS Shagon’ AHC-118, which has a whacky burgandy colour scheme.
- FutureLooks reviews the AOC e2243 Fwk Razor 21.5 Inch Aire LED LCD Monitor
- Here’s a Patriot Memory VIPER Xtreme PC3-12800 CL8 6GB Kit Review at Real World Labs. We reviewed their 8GB kit as part of our Finding The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge article.
- How about a power supply review? TechPowerUp has the Kingwin LZP-550 Lazer Platinum 550 W on the bench today
- Finally, OCIA reviews the OCZ Technology Agility 3 240GB Solid State Drive. We’ll be including the 120GB version of that drive in our upcoming midrange SSD roundup, so watch for that!
And if you have news for us, please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be sure to include you.