Hot on the heels of the EVGA Z97 announcement comes another from Biostar in Taiwan, a company that we haven’t heard from in a while. Theirs is dubbed the Hi Fi Z98WE v5.0, and as you can guess by the name, they have focused on the audio design on this motherboard.
Biostar did not divulge exact specifications of the Hi-Fi Z97WE v5.0, but we can tell a few things just by looking at the ultra high resolution picture they sent, last minute changes notwithstanding:
- Like the EVGA Z97 FTW, the Biostar Hi-Fi Z97WE v5.0 has an M.2 SSD adapter slot. I guess we’ll be seeing a lot more of these moving forward.
- We can’t tell what audio codec is being used, but it is shielded and it looks like it has some lighting effects similar to that found on the Gigabyte G1 Sniper series (which we’ll be reviewing soon).
- It looks like a 10 phase VRM, but we’re not sure if it is doubled or not.
- Right angled SATA ports, diagnostic LED, expansion row along the bottom, power and reset switch, all make for a solid layout.
- We’ll have to wait and see the final design in person before coming to conclusions on the yellow/gold colour scheme on a dark brown glossy PCB.
Biostar motherboards usually run a bit cheaper than the usual suspects, even with similar features. This may be worth checking out, so stay tuned for a review!