Destructoid was the first to post this leaked photo of a PS4 dev kit, along with its prototype controller. This is the first we’ve seen physical proof of some of the rumors that have been flying around.
The controller stays true to the form of the original Playstation controller, but adds some interesting (and expensive looking) features.
- On the top, there appears to be a “Playstation Move” light. So rather than use the goofy looking ice cream cone controllers, it looks like you will be able to have Move features with the normal controller.
- On the face is a touchpad, similar to that on the back of the Playstation Vita. This should allow developers to add some interesting interface features, and the console’s UI might even use it to some effect.
- At the top left corner, between the cross pad and touchpad, there is a button. This could be the rumored “share button” that has been talked about before.
- There is also what appears to be either a microphone, or a speaker (or both). The last two Wii controllers have had speakers, but I would expect this to be a microphone.
- There is a microphone/headphone port on the bottom. Out of all the new features, this is the one that looks the most “beta-y” to me, and may not end up on the final design.
In fact, it’s possible that some of the other features will be scrapped in the final controller design. Certainly the aesthetic look is not finalized – this thing is ugly.
In five more days, we’ll know a lot more about the PS4, including how many of these features make it to the final design of the controller.