I came across this article at Ars Technica, that talks about ad blocking, and how it affects them. As someone who has been running this website to make a living for nearly 10 years now, it really hits home for me. What I didn’t comprehend at first was just how many people are blocking ads without really considering the consequences. It’s easy to just download a quick browser plugin, turn the thing on, and forget about it. It’s probably even easier to justify than pirating games.
For the huge blogging networks that are taking over the internet, or Facebook, you probably aren’t making too much of a dent. But for sites like this one, which doesn’t have tens of millions of people coming back every day, every single person who blocks our ads is contributing to quite a loss for me and my family. I try to make the ads as non-invasive as possible, completely disallowing popups, pop-unders, blinking ads, ads with sound, expanding ads, auto-playing video ads, etc. Most of our ads are just simple banners, some with basic Flash animation.
All I am asking is that you read the article linked above, and consider whitelisting us in your blocking software if you haven’t already. If you really feel that we don’t deserve to make money by providing content to you, you can still help us out in other ways:
- Spread the word about our articles – share them on Twitter, Facebook, Digg, etc. There are links at the bottom of every page that make this very easy.
- Leave a comment here and there, contributing to our community. We have several conversations going through the site, and have a forum you can check out as well.
- Link to our reviews on your favourite vendor sites. Many PC and Video Game sites have comment and review sections, and it would be great if you could help spread the word by sharing our reviews with them.
- Use us as a source on Yahoo Answers. If you know a lot about the topics we cover, you may be interested in helping out on Yahoo Answers. If so, consider using us as a source!
- Recommend us to friends, coworkers, etc. Help spread the word! If you have friends who may not have come across our site, let them know about it! If you know of a vendor or manufacturer who might want to work with us, feel free to tell them!
Thanks for keeping us in mind.