Go Back   HCW Tech Forum > hardCOREware Forums > HCW Tech Talk

Unread 05-14-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
clok
Bad Movie Placement

clok is on a distinguished road
Arrow Inkjet Refilling

I have a dvd burner and I err, Umm Backup my DVD movies. Well I make covers for them all and am backing up alot of my movies. I have used refill kits for awhile, and I just now had my first artridge run out of yellow, i have refilled it and cannot get it to prime, anybody have suggestions on getting the Yellow to work? I have always refilled before I ran out so I have not encountered this problem.

This is an HP 933c deskjet.

I have tried absolty nothing other then the PRIME option for the printer (about 5 times). Anybody have suggestions? If i cant get any ideas I will just go buy another cartridge which is fine, but the refills had been working so well I hate to. I had thought about soaking the print head in rubbing alchol, but im not sure if it would go back inot the print head. maybe set it for 10 minutes and try it .

Hopeing somebody has some ideas.

Clok
clok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #2
jenious
Paid Loafer

jenious will become famous soon enough

Try just wiping the print head with a damp qtip, clean any junk out from around it
jenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
Rbreb13
Over Hill, pickin up Speed

Rbreb13 will become famous soon enough

How many times have you refilled it? I have heard that eventually the printhead just wears out and won't work anymore.
I don't refill myself (to much hassle) so I'm only going by what I've seen around.

Some of my PC's
Rbreb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 07:49 AM   #4
clok
Bad Movie Placement

Arrow

well this cartridge has been refilled 2 times (this would be the third). I have a black cartridge I have refilled 6+ times and it still works fine. I normally fill them 5-6 times and get a new one ( yes I do that much printing, which is why I refill, 25 cents of ink and a $2 print head are not worth $38 (shame on you HP). When you figure a color and black cartridge is roughly $60-75 you could almost buy a new printer and dump the old one on E-bay. I have read that you should never run them out totally, and that is what I did. I have been refilling for several years and this is the first time I have actually ran out on a cartridge.

I have cleaned the bottom and as far as I can see it looks fine.( looks like a new one). I have primed it 5 times at least, which is a waste (my black has went from 50% to 45% in 5 primes acording to HP's program).

Guess I will try soaking the printhead in something.

Clok
Unread 05-15-2003, 03:41 PM   #5
maverick2003
Truly HARDCORE

maverick2003 is on a distinguished road

That happened to my Lexmark cartridges. I soak them in luke warm water, it works really good. Just for 2-5 minutes though. Some dude from Roloink on eBay told me about that trick, I've bought a few color cartridges from them. It's only the color one I have to do this to and it only happens if I don't print any color stuff for a while. Lexmark is just as bad for thier prices, its like $70 total for a black and color cartridge.
Unread 05-16-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
clok
Bad Movie Placement

Arrow

Thanks Mav, that is what I was looking for, an IDEA! will let you know how it turns out in 3-4 hours.

thanks again

Clok
Unread 05-17-2003, 06:39 PM   #7
clok
Bad Movie Placement

Well this fixed my Yellow, but then the Blue and red didnt work...BUT! a few primes and im printing like new again... thanks
again MAV it worked

Clok
GF4 Abit SiluroTi 200 299/597
Idle: 36C / Full load: 41C
Unread 05-18-2003, 06:03 PM   #8
Technomage
Game Junkie

Technomage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by clok
...25 cents of ink and a $2 print head are not worth $38 (shame on you HP). When you figure a color and black cartridge is roughly $60-75 you could almost buy a new printer and dump the old one on E-bay...
Clok
I half agree with you, raw materials that's probably pretty close but you're paying for the development team who forumlate these inks to be,
a) UV unresponsive/non-fading
b) bloody quick drying
c) water resistant
d) suitable for different applications ie. glossy paper, plain porous paper, etc.

That said, I feel the high prices are fair for a new product formula, but once the new stuff is on the market the old stuff should be at most 1/2 price. But alas they make all their money off ink sales so they don't want to loose any coin. $100cad to replace my mom's two cartriges in her old Lexmark 2200 is ridiculous, I can get an AMD XP 2000+ for $104, or two Athlon 1.1's, or a Radeon 9100 for $117...sigh...
OCZ 1024M DDR400
Antec Sonata II
HTPC
Athlon 2500+ Barton
MSI fx5200
OCZ 512M DDR 400
Antec Plusview Server
Technomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
clok
Bad Movie Placement

Well supposedly they "lose" money on the printer (I can believe it, they have gotten dang Cheap for a pretty good one) SO they make up the cost on the INK, same way the console makers work, take a loss one time (on the main unit) then soak um for the addons to make it work. I think the problem is HP (I buy HP printers so Im using them, but works for most any printer company I would guess) has like 20 printers in the $50-$200 range... good GOD! 2-5 in that price range would be fine.. I know it takes money to develope new stuff, but asking me to pay for you to develope 20 printers. Ah well I keep buying them, they will keep gougeing me.

Clok
GF4 Abit SiluroTi 200 299/597
Idle: 36C / Full load: 41C
Unread 05-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #10
Technomage
Game Junkie

Technomage is on a distinguished road

Oh well, they are quite good.
OCZ 1024M DDR400
Antec Sonata II
HTPC