Go Back   HCW Tech Forum > hardCOREware Forums > HCW Center

Unread 11-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
lowlight
37% More Evil!

lowlight will become famous soon enough
Default Intel Core i7 “Nehalem” Review

Intel has decided to open the curtains early on their latest CPU microarchitecture codenamed “Nehalem”. The NDA was originally scheduled to be lifted in a few weeks, but Intel is eager to let us tell you just how it performs. And for good reason.

Join us as we talk about the Nehalem architecture, what’s new, what it means today, and what it will mean in the future. We also take a look at the first three CPUs to be released using this architecutre; Core i7, for desktop CPUs. Server and Mobile CPUs will come at a later time.

Not only is the design of Nehalem fascinating, its performance also makes for an interesting read. So check out our full review!
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Georules
Serpens

Georules will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Intel Core i7 “Nehalem” Review

typo in the image:

and it is is smoking fast.
Georules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
lowlight
37% More Evil!

HAHAHA holy shit

you should have seen all the typos in the article... I stayed up all night writing it (lost track of the date, thought I had another week to write it). Luckily I have someone to spell check for me
Unread 11-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Georules
Serpens

Georules will become famous soon enough

Checking out the review now, looks great.
Georules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
ECC
OM NOM NOM

ECC will become famous soon enough

review looks awesome IMHO. BTW Nehalim = streams in Hebrew. in fact all of Intel's latest and greatest are based on Israeli design(P-M). the banias and dotan (Pentium-M) are both named after Israeli rivers and ancient cities, and yonah (Core Solo/Duo) is also an Israeli/Jewish name(and it also means dove). Merom is a Place in the Golan heights and also is the Hebrew word for a higher plane of existence or a level of heaven :P

i find that even tho the predicted price differential isn't that big (in Israel it will be larger tho, I'm sure of that, it always is) that DDRII is so damn cheap. its so cheap that you can get 8gb for less than the price of one 3x1 DDR3 kit o_0
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
lowlight
37% More Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECC View Post
review looks awesome IMHO. BTW Nehalim = streams in Hebrew. in fact all of Intel's latest and greatest are based on Israeli design(P-M). the banias and dotan (Pentium-M) are both named after Israeli rivers and ancient cities, and yonah (Core Solo/Duo) is also an Israeli/Jewish name(and it also means dove). Merom is a Place in the Golan heights and also is the Hebrew word for a higher plane of existence or a level of heaven :P

i find that even tho the predicted price differential isn't that big (in Israel it will be larger tho, I'm sure of that, it always is) that DDRII is so damn cheap. its so cheap that you can get 8gb for less than the price of one 3x1 DDR3 kit o_0
In this case, Nehalem is named after a river in Oregon

DDR3 is certainly more expensive than DDR2, but it's not ridiculously high (X58 motherboards on the other hand...)
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
ECC
OM NOM NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
In this case, Nehalem is named after a river in Oregon

DDR3 is certainly more expensive than DDR2, but it's not ridiculously high (X58 motherboards on the other hand...)
haha, I didn't know that but it still means streams in hebrew lol.
you'd expect X58 chips to be cheaper as the CPUs now have an integrated memory interface .
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
lowlight
37% More Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECC View Post
haha, I didn't know that but it still means streams in hebrew lol.
you'd expect X58 chips to be cheaper as the CPUs now have an integrated memory interface .
Well they are cheaper - for the motherboard manufacturers to buy. Instead of passing the savings, they are gouging us since there are no other options.
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
ECC
OM NOM NOM

lame.

about virtualization benching that we talked about in the phenom review how about this? http://www.vmware.com/products/vmmark/overview.html
its look more server oriented but still acceptable.
however some google fu leads me to teh conclusion theat what i preposed earlyer(running standard benchmarks inside a vm/Multiple vms and a comparison of preformance on each) should lead to similar and more useful data for workstation vm use
e.g. http://www.mactech.com:16080/article...tionBenchmark/
Unread 11-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Flunk
Henshin a go go baby!

Flunk is on a distinguished road

I'm smoldering with envy over the idea that you managed to touch one of these. All of the benchmarks around the web seem to agree on one thing. These chips are a good step up from the Penryn architecture.

I wonder what AMD will do? Reduce prices more? I like healthy competetion so let's hope they have something amazing waiting in the wings because right now they can't really compete with Penryn on performance, this makes the situation much worse for them.

I'm not a fan of virtualization on anything below the server level, it adds a lot of overhead. Because of that I would put forward that virtualisation benchmarks are not necessary when benchmarking desktop chips. If you are benchmarking server chips like Xeons and Opterons then it would make sense.
Stack trace: #0 \www\hardcoreware.net\forum\index.php(12):
checkNum(28) #1 {main} thrown in \www\hardcoreware.net\forum\index.php on line 623
Flunk is offline   Reply With Quote